YOUTH CONFIRMATION PROGRAM
… our faith
The Youth Confirmation program at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer is a two-year program of intensive study for 7th and 8th graders which includes:
- classroom study
- workshop discussions
- Classroom study: Sunday Church school classes are held on Sunday mornings at 9:45am from September to June. In 7th grade students study the Reformation period and the basic doctrines of the Lutheran Church. In addition, the class covers the development of the Bible, what is in it and how to read it. In 8th grade students study Martin Luther’s Small Catechism and take a look at world religions.
- Workshop discussions: Several times a year both 7th and 8th graders meet together with the Pastor and parent mentors to discuss issues of faith in small group settings.
- Worship: Students are expected to attend worship services regularly; filling out “sermon outlines” to help them focus on each of the part of the worship service.
- Service: Students are expected to participate in service activities at Redeemer by volunteering regularly as acolytes and crucifiers or by helping with various outreach activities such as helping to sort and deliver groceries to those in need.
- Fellowship: All 7th and 8th graders are invited to participate in social activities for the Junior High students. The calendar of activities is determined by parent volunteers. Most activities take place on Sundays and include fun activities, service projects, food, or a combination of all three!
At the end of the two year period and in coordination with the Pastor and the families of those involved, a Confirmation service takes place on Reformation Sunday and is a special worship service for the students, their families and friends.